Monday, September 5, 2011

NOW I FEAR BEING MISQUOTED MORE THAN EVER.

If I introduce my friend to you and you ask me "Where and how did you meet?". I assure you I will not answer you. In fact, I will be offended.

I didn't notice how behind I was until a few nights ago when I was watching a film with my sister and there was a romantic scene. Perhaps, I am just old-fashioned or "old" as she put it. But I can't possibly be too old at 20 neither will I admit to being uptight.

Now, it's not that I hate slang but the level at which people use and substitute words for expressions or other words that are totally different in meaning or translation is sickening.

I have come across many slang, misuse or abuse of the English language, but this one hit me like a punch and hurt me like a sting: In the romance scene, the guy was kissing the girl and caressing her. When he started kissing her neck, my sister said "He's giving her a icky". Icky?? I first thought it was a mistake she made but after I questioned the use of  "icky", she replied "That's what they say if a guy kisses a girl on the neck." I was going mental now because I hate arguments and I get annoyed as soon as one starts.

So after my sister showered me with more unbelievable information, it was apparent that almost all teenagers accept the new found meaning for words like "icky". I even got more cautious with what I say as even the most basic words can mean exactly something else to other people.

I learned that: To 'Shift' or 'Meet' is to Kiss and/or probably do more. This is amazing now that I can possibly boost your imagination when I tell you that "I met him on the bus". You may even get an interesting impression of who I am with that.

Honestly, I don't know who to blame for this grammar situation. But I seriously hope that there will be a module in school totally dedicated to reading/studying the dictionary so that people don't use adjectives as nouns; say that a guy kissing a girl on the neck is giving her a icky (adj. disgusting); or believe that the word 'Bogus' means 'Huge'.

No comments:

Post a Comment